Friday, October 16, 2009

Bright Star

And a good cry was had.

I remember when I was in India. I had spent a life altering six months there. It's funny, at the time I just had no idea the effects and life lessons that gorgeous country would have on me and leave with me in the years to follow. . Anyway, my mom and I had come across what felt like a a deserted railway station. India with it's population, surprisingly, the quiet can still be found in many places. We came across this station, I can't remember where we were headed. But what I do remember is seeing this woman crying out a man's name over and over. We didn't know what to do. Moments later somebody else had shown up, a local and she told us that the woman comes almost everyday and calls out to her son. There had been tragic accident, the train taking his life many years ago. She never moved, she sat strong in the grief of her loss.

John Keats dear Fanny never recovered either. She disappeared into the past, stayed there. Just her shell roamed the landscape where she and her deceased lover had discovered one another. It was a heavy sadness that followed his death and stayed with her til the end of her days.

I have heard many times over the years, via deep pain, loss, grief etc, big growth and strength will be discovered. Contentment and peace are promised. I don't know if that's true for so many. That old saying, which I'm sure to get wrong here, "better to have loved and lost, then to have never have loved at all"...I don't know about that. Fanny never got over Keats. The old woman in India probably died calling out to her son. I'm sure they're not alone in that.

These are ramblings of sleep deprived soul...I can't sleep. I stupidly had a cup of coffee during the movie. I'll pay dearly tomorrow I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment